Friday, October 30, 2015

Haikus

I am trying to make a dent in my "to read" pile of library books. I feel somewhat guilty keeping these books to myself - if the books are on my shelf, no one else has the opportunity to read them. I decided one way to make myself feel better was to get the children's novels out of the way, since I knew that I could complete them quickly.

Each of these books took about an hour to read - Olive's Ocean maybe an hour and a half. All were enjoyable, but my favorite of the three was Lois Lowry's The Willoughby's. I am not surprised, one of her Newbery winning novels, The Giver, is one of my all time favorite books to read.

To add some variety, rather than writing a traditional review or synopsis, I decided to get out of my comfort zone and write a haiku poem for each one. Please excuse the quality, I do not think I have written a haiku poem since I learned about them in fifth grade English.


Olive's Ocean
Girl learns to grow up
at her Grandma's ocean house.
Getting old is hard.

The Willoughby's
Lois Lowry - win!
Absurd, clever, so funny.
Maybe happy end?

The Magician's Elephant
Two orphans, alone.
Elephant! Alone, no more.
Magic makes it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment